Wednesday, April 7

CONFESSIONS OF A DERMATOLOGIST


By Dr. Katie Rodan
Dr. Fields and I will be the first to tell you to run from the sun. That natural, sun-kissed glow may be pretty but it is hardly worth the risks of skin cancer, brown spots and accelerated aging. Just because I slather myself in sunscreen, hide under a huge hat and sport sunglasses so large they cover half my face doesn’t mean I’ve abandoned my Southern California beach babe roots in favor of a pasty white, librarian-like complexion. I want it all—especially when it comes to my skin. So here’s how I have learned to fake it:
First: Prep your skin by exfoliating: Before applying a self-tanning lotion, I scrub away dead, dry, scaly skin on my legs, chest and arms with a gentle micro-dermabrasion stick. And for a two-for-one benefit, I leave the micro-dermabrasion product on my legs for an even closer shave and enhanced exfoliation in one fell swoop. Smooth, freshly shaved and exfoliated skin ensures a uniform application of the self-tanning product.
Second: Moisturize the driest areas over your joints: Apply a thick coat of your favorite body lotion over the elbows, ankles and knees to prevent a concentrated uptake of the self tanner in areas where the skin is thickest.
Third: Apply a gradual self-tanning moisturizer for a more natural, and streak-free glow. My favorites are made by Jergens and Dove which are lightweight, full of good moisturizers and don’t smell like your average self-tanner.
These are my best tips, what are yours?
Skin is a beautiful thing … wear it well.

No comments:

Post a Comment